Therapy Resources To Help You
Here are some articles, books, and resources to assist you.
- Book: Hallowell (2011). Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder. This classic book was revised in 2011, and I view it as essential reading for anyone newly diagnosed with ADHD.
- Book: Ochoa (2016). Focused Forward: Navigating the Storms of Adult ADHD. ADHD is often linked to having more intense emotional experiences than those without ADHD. This is an excellent text for confronting emotional regulation symptoms in ADHD.
- Book: Shankman (2017). Faster Than Normal: Turbocharge your Focus, Productivity, and Success with the Secrets of the ADHD Brain. This book contains a wealth of tips, tricks, and advise, on living effectively with ADHD.
- Organization: Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) – www.chadd.org
- Magazine: Additude Magazine – www.additudemag.com
- PsychCentral.com – Mindfulness & Anxiety
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Mindfulness Workbook
- Treatment of OCD and Anxiety: A Brief History
- Book: Downs (2012). The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man’s World, Second Edition. A frequently helpful read for many of my gay male clients. Addresses excessive experiences of anxiety and shame that can be frequent for gay males surrounding their sexual identity.
- Book: Ehrensaft (2011). Gender Born Gender Made: Raising Healthy Gender-Nonconforming Children. A helpful and informative read for parents of gender-nonconforming children.
- Book: Kaufman & Rafael (1996). Coming Out of Shame: Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives.
- Book: Teich (2012). Transgender 101: A Simple Guide to a Complex Issue. This book is an excellent read and resource for those who want to learn more about the experience of being transgender.
- Organization: TheCenter – Metro DC GLBT Community Center
- Organization: Whitman-Walker Health
- Organization: SMYAL
- Newspaper: MetroWeekly – Health, Support, Recovery Resources
- Coming Out is a Lifelong Experience
- Brian McNaught
- Magazine: Gay Parent Magazine
- Proud Parenting
Open Relationships & Polyamory
- Book: Labriola (2013). The Jealousy Workbook: Exercises and Insights for Managing Open Relationships.
- Book: Ryan (2011) Sex at Dawn.
- Book: Taormino (2008). Opening Up: A Guide To Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships.
- Book: Gottman (2013). What Makes Love Last?: How To Build Trust And Avoid Betrayal.
- Book: Gottman (2015). The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work.
- Podcast: Savage Lovecast with Dan Savage.
- Book: Schwartz (2023). Introduction to Internal Family Systems, 2nd Edition.
- Book: Schwartz (2021). No Bad Parts: Healing Trauma and Restoring Wholeness with the Internal Family Systems Model.
- Book: Shapiro (2016). EMDR: The Breakthrough Therapy for Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, and Trauma.
- Book: Shapiro (2013). Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy.
- Book: van der Kolk (2015). The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma.